With Billy's love for beer and brewing, I think that it has finally seeped its way into my heart as well, for its different beloved qualities. Although I can appreciate its different tastes, and notes, I still can't finish my own glass, its rather just sips and handing it back to my hunny. Since I don't drink it like a normal person, I still am fond of it and wanted to use it in something I'd really appreciate. So I thought beer might be a great liquid substitution in cupcakes. And then the image in my February issue of Bon Apetit's Chocolate Stout Float popped into my mind. So I combined my wandering ideas (beer appreciation, cupcakes, stout ice cream float), and made Stout Float Cupcakes with Beer Syrup Drizzle.
Stout Float Cupcakes with Beer Syrup Drizzle
Stout Float Cupcakes with Beer Syrup Drizzle
Cook's Note: I followed her recipe but substituted beer in for root beer. I also created a chocolate beer bottom layer to imitate the appearance of a chocolate stout float.
Inspired by/Adapted from Baking Bite's Root Beer Float Cupcakes
Ingredients:
Beer Syrup:
12 oz Stout (We used Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout)
6 tbsp sugar
-
Cupcakes:
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk
3 tbsp cocoa powder
-
Beer Syrup Drizzle:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp beer syrup
1 tbsp water
-
Vanilla ice cream, to serve
Cupcake Process:
1) Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2) In a small saucepan bring beer and sugar to a boil, reduce temperature to medium, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Once beer is syrupy, turn off heat and set aside. (You won't use it all for the recipe, only 1/3 cup.)
3) In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
4) In another bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar, making sure there aren't any clumps. Beat in egg, vanilla extract, 1/3 cup of the beer syrup, and milk. Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients, and stir until just combined.
5) Remove about 1 1/4 cups of batter into a separate bowl. Add cocoa powder and stir until just combined.
6) Evenly distribute chocolate batter among each paper liner in prepared tin (about 2 tbsp each). Use a spatula
7) Evenly distribute the rest of the regular batter on top of the chocolate bottom layer, the batter should fill each cup about 3/4 full. Use a clean spatula to level out each cupcake.
8) Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes completely on a wire rack.
Beer Syrup Drizzle:
While cupcakes are baking, whisk together powdered sugar, beer syrup, and water until mixture is smooth and thin enough to drizzle.
Assemble:
Add a scoop of ice cream to each cupcake and finish with the beer syrup drizzle.








No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for stopping by! Feel free to reach out with any questions or comments below.